1. File for Unemployment

    The military was your job. If you don’t have another job lined up yet, you might qualify to receive financial assistance while you look for another job. To learn more, visit http://www.edd.ca.gov. If you already have a job, skip this task.

    Additional Information

    Services for Veterans (link to EDD.CA.GOV)

    The Employment Development Department (EDD) assists veterans and their eligible spouses maximize their employment and training opportunities. Veterans are entitled to many resources designed to help in their search for employment.  (Veterans Are a Priority Tri-fold Informational Brochure)

    The EDD veterans’ representatives specialize in assisting veterans in their efforts to return to work and are located in many local EDD offices. Services provided include a veteran 24-hour priority hold on all job listings, customized job search assistance, job fairs, employer recruitments, and other events and resources.

    Veterans are encouraged to schedule an appointment with an EDD veterans’ representative for personalized services and assistance to achieve professional goals.

    2. File Claim for Benefits/Disability

    File a claim for benefits/disability with VSO  
    To make an appointment, follow these instructions

     Additional Information

    What the County of Orange Veterans Service Office can do for you (excerpted from the VSO pamphlet):

    • VSO can conserve your time & effort in obtaining benefits
    • VSO can advise you as to what documents the law requires from you to support your claim
    • VSO can elimiate the need to travel to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office (DVA) in Los Angeles or San Diego regarding benefits
    • VSO can answer any questions you may have concerning veterans' benefits & potential entitlement

    3. Obtain VA Health Card

    Obtain a VA Health Identification Card (VHIC)
    To receive a VHIC, you must be enrolled.  If you are not enrolled, you may apply for enrollment online at www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll or by calling 1-877-222-VETS (8387)

    Additional Information

    You may also apply for enrollment in person at your local VA medical facility. Once your enrollment is verified (you will receive a Veteran Health Benefits Handbook welcoming you to the VA), you may have your picture taken at your local VA medical center, so that a VHIC can be mailed to you.

    VHIC vs VIC

    VA wants all enrolled Veterans to have the new Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC), which is more secure and protects your personal information. The new VHIC should replace your previous version of the Veterans Identification Card (VIC).

    Return to Veteran's Portal Home Page

    Copyright © 2021 2-1-1 Orange County. All Rights Reserved.